Alala was created in 2014 by Denise Lee and is based in NYC. Alala offers fashion-forward activewear pieces designed to move with you from morning to night. Their pieces have an urban flair and will make you WANT to workout. They made their first retail sales to Equinox, a luxury fitness club based in the United States. If you’ve ever been to an Equinox club, you’ll see why they love Alala.
The name, ALALA, comes from a Greek goddess. Her name signifies a battle cry, a call to arms. ALALA represents all that we aspire to be as a modern woman. We live our lives with the audacity to believe that we can do and have it all.
Alala Review: Captain Ankle Tight (in Beach)
I bought the Alala Captain Ankle Tight from Carbon38 in the Beach colorway. I received 20% off my order (please see below for coupon code). I am a sucker for ombre, so it was obvious I fell in love with the pattern and decided that I should give it a go.
#1 Size: I knew the Alala leggings were white backed so I opted for a size MEDIUM in the Captain Ankle Tights. I am a size 6 in lululemon for reference. The size medium fit comfortably, but the leggings still stretch to white during wear.
#2 Style: Alala offers mainly ankle length leggings. They also offer bras, tanks, jackets and sweaters.
#3 Inseam: The inseam of the Captain Ankle Tight is 27″. I am 5’5″ for reference. The fabric stretches a lot, so I was able to wear the leg opening over my heel.
#4 Rise: The tights have a 10″ rise from crotch to navel. It fit over my navel comfortably. However I think because of the fabric, I did develop camel toe!
#5 Waistband: Alala Captain Ankle Tights are made with a tall waistband measuring 3″. The waistband comes with inner powermesh control for a form fitting experience. The waistband also has a reflective panel for night visibility.
- Fabric Content: 65% Polyamide 35% Elastane with mesh panels on the back of the legs.
- Fabric Feel: The fabric feels slick and silky. There is lots of give to the fabric which is probably why it stretched to white during wear. Because the fabric is so soft, It’s prone to snagging. Keep the leggings away from abrasive surfaces. The fabric feels similar to K-Deer but it is printed on white.
- Fabric Performance: Fabric has 4-way stretch and is very lightweight. The fabric is quick drying. The fabric hugs to the body comfortably and moreso during practice.
- Opacity: Unfortunately these leggings are see through. The black on the pant stretches to white, making them unfavorable for activities requiring squats or bending over.
- Fabric Features: Inner powermesh waistband for best fit around the waist. Key pocket in the back of the pant. Ruched detailing at the back of the waistband. There is a gold plated Alala logo on the pant (see photo below).
#7 When to Wear: Alala leggings are great for low to high impact exercises. They’re also great for casual wear.
#8 Cost: Alala leggings cost $110 on average. The price point is fair considering the quality of fabric and manufacturing that goes into each pair.
#9 Gusset: Alala leggings come with a triangle gusset that is double layered with mesh, all constructed with a flat fell seam.
#10 Stitch Seam: Flat fell seams are used throughout the pant. The pants were very comfortable and did not chafe during wear.
#11 UPF Protection: Not disclosed.
#12 Designed and made in New York City (NYC) , USA.
#13 Care Instructions: Because the fabric is so delicate, I recommend washing inside out and then hanging to dry. Avoid abrasive surfaces as the fabric will snag and possibly pill.
Should I Buy Alala?
The stretching to white was the deciding factor for me. I knew I would not wear them often if I kept them. That’s so unfortunately because the print is so beautiful and unique! Luckily I was able to return it hassle free over at Carbon38. Based on how soft the fabric was, I am willing to give Alala another try, but will avoid buying any white backed products.
Where to Buy Alala
- Bandier – Get $25 to spend when you join through my referral link here.
- Carbon38 – Use Carbon38 discount code SCHIMIGGY for 20% off your first order of $100+. Free shipping on orders of $200+.
I was not compensated for this review. All opinions and observations are purely my own.