What is Alo Yoga?
Alo Yoga was created by Danny Harris and Marco deGeorge. They recognized the rise of athleisure wear and started Alo in 2007. Alo was created to spread good to anyone who is experiencing the transformative power of yoga, to the world’s best yogis like Talia Sutra, Ashley Galvin, and Dylan Werner who wear Alo to practice because it’s the only line that actually elevates their practice, to the celebrities and the fashion-forward who wear Alo because it’s the perfect street brand, comfortable, contemporary and decidedly not just for the mat.
Alo Yoga High-Waist Moto Leggings Review
I first tried Alo Yoga back in 2007 when they first came out. They offered their collection at Nordstrom and I was not immediately in love. In 2010 I attended a conference in Boston, Mass. and found a cute Alo Yoga criss cross tank top that I fell in love with. I brought it home with me and later discovered that the label had fallen off after two wears and the trim used on the top was not stretchy and felt constricting. I ended up selling the top. I also attended one of their samples sales in Los Angeles years later that year and found tanks, bras, tops and bottoms for an excellent deal! I still was not a huge fan of Alo due to the quality, but I couldn’t beat the prices! Afterwards, I took a long hiatus from Alo Yoga.
Two weeks ago (fast forward 7 years) I tried on their High-Waist Moto leggings and fell in love. I could see an exponential improvement in their design. The fabric was much softer and the silhouette was very slimming! I could see why there’s been such a huge rise in the popularity of Alo Yoga, aside from their Instagram sponsorships and challenges.
#1 Size: I tried on the black Alo High Rise Moto leggings in a size small at Nordstrom. I am a size 6 in lululemon for reference. The fit was excellent! The pants held everything in and looked very slimming. I decided to get the pants in white as well! I figured white would fit similarly, but boy was I wrong. The pants were tighter (felt like I was wearing an XS) and see through!
#2 Style: Alo long leggings come in both high and regular rise. They also make shorts, bras, tops, sweaters and outerwear. The pants also come with a waistband pocket in the front to stow your belongings. Its also not bulky.
#3 Inseam: 29″ long and can be worn over the heel or ankle.
#4 Rise: High Rise pants sit above the navel.
#5 Waistband: I opted for the high waist moto leggings.
- Fabric Content: Moto leggings are composed of Alo’s Ultimate Performance Nylon Spandex (UPNS) + Glossy Performance Fabric (GPF).
- Fabric Feel: The UPNS fabric feels similar to lululemon luon but a bit thicker and softer. The GPF feels like Onzie material. The mixed matte and shine fabric panels provide the perfect amount of contrast, allowing the leggings to transfer easily between street to studio wear.
- Fabric Performance:
- Alo leggings are dry wicking with anti-microbial properties.
- Fabric offers 4-way stretch, allowing the leggings to be form fitting. I did not find the leggings to be overly compressive.
- No pilling! I’ve worn my Motos at least 5 times already. They’ve gone through the washer and come out looking brand new.
- Opacity: My black leggings were 100% opaque and the white leggings were see through. A friend did mention to me that she experienced see-through in her navy regular rise Moto leggings.
#7 When to Wear: Alo Yoga products are designed for yoga. They’re also great for casual wear and other exercises as well.
#8 Cost: Alo’s long leggings range from $88 to $129. The High Rise Moto Leggings cost $114.
#9 Gusset: The moto leggings are constructed with a H shaped gusset with a floating layer of fabric to protect and cover your lady parts.
#10 Stitch Seam: Flat fell seams line the inseam of the pants, front and back rise, and waistband of their leggings.
#11 UPF Protection: Not disclosed.
#12 Made in China.
#13 Care Instructions: I wash my leggings inside-out and on delicate in the washer. Afterwards, I hang dry. They dry quickly overnight.
Should I Buy Alo Yoga Leggings?
Yes, you absolutely should get some moto leggings! I would recommend going with colored moto leggings. I have the leggings in both black and gravel (a nude color) and they are 100% opaque.
I initially thought the High Rise Moto leggings were too busy for daily wear. But I find myself wearing them all the time. They bring the right amount of flair to my casual outfits. I can dress the leggings both up and down. I absolutely love the fit. The pants are slimming, slightly compressive and very comfortable. I am glad I gave Alo another try!
Where to Buy Alo Yoga Leggings?
- Alo Yoga – Alo offers a teacher discount of 30%. Sign-up here.
- Carbon38 – Use code SCHIMIGGY to save 20% off your first purchase of $100 or more!
- Evolve Fitwear – Use code SCHIMIGGY for 10% off your orders!
- Yoga Outlet
<3 + Light,