I am on a constant process of selling my belongings, as well as purchasing more. I know…what a vicious cycle! I was recently introduced to the Mercari App from an eBay seller who was willing to negotiate on a handbag that I was interested in and eventually bought. Here’s what I found out…it’s works like eBay except the fees are way less than eBay + Paypal’s combined ~13% in feed. We don’t call eBay, feeBay for nothing!
What is Mercari?
MERCARI is a Customer to Customer (C2C) online marketplace where buyers and sellers can easily make purchasing and selling transactions. Mercari started in Japan and became such a huge success that they wanted to replicate the platform for US customers.
Here is my Mercari account: SellingMama
How Does Mercari Work?
Sellers list their items on Mercari using their smart phones. To date, the app is available on iOS and Android. Mercari requires you to fill out certain fields on the app. Photos are the first thing required to create a listing, so make sure you have a decent camera on your smartphone. You’ll then have to list the title, description, price, shipping fees, etc. and voila! You’re ready to sell and here comes a buyer!
When buyers make a purchase, their fees are withdrawn from the account with which they are making the payment from. This can be from a credit card or account balance from previous sales. The seller then ships the item within 1-4 days. Once the item is received by the buyer, the seller and buyer have to rate one another to complete the transaction. After the transaction is complete, funds are released to the seller’s account. The seller has the option to use it for future purchases or transfer it to their linked bank account. A routing and account number are required for the withdrawal. The withdrawals are processed every Sunday evening of the week and take approximately 1-2 days to complete.
Pros and Cons of Using the Mercari App
Any time we use a product, we have to weigh the cons and pros. The better we understand the a product, the better we can use it to it’s maximum capacity.
- No fees (until Nov. 21st)! During Mercari’s beta test run, they’re offering no fees to sell products. Hurry and list your items before they update their guidelines! After Nov. 21st, Mercari is implementing 10% fees! Compared to many of the other selling apps on the market, this fee is not bad!
- Very easy comment option within the listing to negotiate and/or get more details regarding an item. Similar to Poshmark.
- Excellent shipping rates for larger items! Pay $9 bucks to ship a large sized bag via USPS Priority mail. Normally the cost is $11+. I would recommend making an account with USPS to ship items that weigh lesser than 13 oz as Mercari’s lowest listed shipping fee is $4. Via USPS you could ship for as little as $2.60 for clothing items weighing 6 oz or less.
- Their customer service is accessible through messaging and usually respond within a day or two.
- The format of the app is very intuitive. You can “like” the items that you’re thinking of purchasing. You can save your searches and opt for emails notifying you when items matching your search is loaded onto the market. You can message your buyer/seller after a purchase has been made in the “View Order” section of the app.
- You can buy and list almost everything. Their tagline is “Sell anything right now” and so far they’ve delivered just that. I have seen condoms for sale on the app. That is weird, but whatevs.
- You can purchase with a credit card, paypal account or by using your Mercari credits. It’s so convenient and I have not had issues with their payment system yet.
- There is no limit to how many items you can list. I have seen accounts list up to 900 items!
- Listed items NEVER expire. I am pro this feature because it is painfully annoying to keep re-listing things that don’t sell (cough cough eBay).
- You have the option to delete or make listings inactive.
- Best of all – listing your items is FREE! Yahoo!
- Their customer service team is reachable my messaging only. If you have issues you’ll have to wait for them to respond. Their is not ability to call or email their customer service team.
- You can’t filter by price (i.e. from lowest to highest). You have to scroll through all the listings to find the best deal. You can filter by sold and unsold items, which is really helpful. You can also include a price range if you only have a set dollar amount to spend on a particular item.
- Mercari has forbidden certain texts in their listings such as exchange, trade, and derogatory or drug related terms (i.e. pills – I have a pair of Poprageous leggings with pills printed throughout the legging).
- Mercari requires that buyers rate their sellers before funds can be released to the seller. Sometimes the buyers need a reminder via the chat option under “View Order.” Sometimes buyers do not respond. When this happens, you have to wait up to 3 days after the item has been shipped before you can message Mercari and request that they complete the transaction for you. This process usually takes another 1-2 days. If you have tracking info uploaded and it proves the item is delivered, there should be no difficulty getting funds deposited into your Mercari account.
- There is no desktop format for Mercari users. You have the option to search for products on their website, but you cannot filter to find exactly what you need. Also, oftentimes I would rather copy and paste an address than type it letter by letter while creating shipping labels at USPS.com. For now the app is available for use on iOS and Android.
- All images must be taken or uploaded from the App in the smartphone. Mercari also requires that you take a photo of the actual item. The listings can be accompanied with stock photos as long as an actual photo of the item is present. Mercari will allow you to load images of varying shapes and sizes onto the listing.
Should You Use Mercari?
I highly recommend Mercari for reselling your used and unwanted goods. Obviously the pros outweigh the cons for me. If you’d like to give Mercari a try, download the app for iPhone iOS or Android. Use my coupon code: SYVFUT to get $2 worth of credit to use on your first purchase!
Feel free to ask any questions. If you have any feedback or additional tips on how to maximize your sales on Mercari, please let me know!
For more fitness fashion discounts and deals, please visit my Fitness Instructor Discounts + Brands page.
<3 + Light,