Manduka began as a yoga mat and accessory brand. In 1997, Peter Sterios, an architect turned yogi, discovered a simple, elegantly designed black mat whose combination of firm grip and complete support revolutionized his yoga practice. In honor of the yoga masters who inspired him, he sought to share this amazing product with others.
Peter chose the name Manduka in homage to his teacher and mentor, Shandor Remete, whose core practice and teaching always included the ancient Hatha Yoga Pradipika pose, Mandukasana or frog.
The quality and performance of Manduka mats and yoga accessories are still unmatched in the marketplace. They are still crafted using simple, enduring, natural, and whenever possible, renewable materials and a fine attention to detail. Manduka is a company built by and for yoga teachers and their students.
They took their dedication in yoga gear and transformed it into activewear that holds up for as long as your practice will. This transition happened in 2016 and the world is only barely beginning to experience Manduka’s amazing clothing line.
Manduka Review: Essential Leggings
#1 Size: I’ve reviewed Manduka’s Flux leggings in a previous blog. The flux leggings fit but it was a tight squeeze. This time I reviewed the Manduka Essential leggings and sized up to a medium because I figured it’d be a better fit. I like my space and prefer my clothing to fit comfortably. I tried the medium and discovered that it was a perfect fit. It fits a little bigger than a lululemon size 6 but might be a tad tighter than a lululemon size 8. For reference I am a size 6 in lululemon.
#2 Style: The Essential leggings come in both long and crop length. Manduka also makes an entire collection of clothing for both men and women. Pieces include tanks, bras, bra tops, shorts, leggings, crops, jackets, cardigans and even headbands.
#3 Inseam: The leggings come with a 27″ inseam. Capri leggings come with a 19″ inseam. I am 5’5″ and the leggings bunch up around my ankles. I cannot wear the leggings over my heels.
#4 Rise: The medium high rise allows the pants to sit an inch below my navel.
#5 Waistband: The Essential leggings come with a tall waistband measuring 3″. The waistband is made with four panels of fabric stitched together to offer a contoured fit. The waistband has a front pocket for stowing keys or a credit card.
- Fabric Content:
- The heathered fabric is composed of the following fabric blends – 88% Recycled Polyester/12% Spandex
- The prints and solid fabrics are created with different fabric content.
- The Essential fabric is made of 65% recycled fibers, making them sustainable and eco-friendly.
- The heathered fabric is beautiful. I love the shade and it goes with practically everything and looks especially great when paired with a black bra or top.
- Fabric Feel: The fabric feels smooth and a bit cottony. The feel is similar to Zella fabrics but a tad thinner.
- Fabric Performance:
- The fabric is quick drying.
- The fabric offers four way stretch so that the leggings contour against the body.
- The fabric is very soft and can be compressive depending on the size you choose.
- The fabric does not pill.
- Opacity: Leggings are 100% opaque and NOT see-through!
- Fabric Features:
- There is a Manduka logo on the back of the pant. The logo is not reflective and is a light grey color.
- The waistband offers a front pocket.
#7 When to Wear: Brands designs products for different reasons. Heated or non-heated yoga, gym, or daily wear
#8 Cost: Manduka Essential leggings are $88 for the long length and $78 for the capri length. They’re affordable and the quality is definitely reflected in the price.
#9 Gusset: Manduka leggings are constructed with a double-layered, triangle gusset. I noticed in my photos the gusset looked darker. It’s probably the angle the gusset photo was taken from.
#10 Stitch Seam: Flat seams are used throughout the pant for a chafe free fit.
#11 UPF Protection: Because protecting yourself from harmful sun rays is important!
#12 Made in: Where were the leggings manufactured?
#13 Care Instructions: Wash & dry in low temperatures to prolong garment shelf life while also conserving energy. Always avoid using fabric softeners – they can inhibit wicking and breathability in performance fabrics. Do not dry clean.
Should I Buy Manduka?
I definitely recommend Manduka’s clothing! I especially love the contoured waistband that fits snug but keeps the leggings in place. I also love the cottony feel of the fabric. Make sure to size up when ordering Manduka.
Where to Buy Manduka
- Manduka – Enjoy FREE SHIPPING on US orders of $75+.
- Amazon – Buy Manduka leggings for as low as $38!
- Sierra Trading Post
- Steep and Cheap
- Yoga Outlet
For more fitness fashion discounts and deals, please visit my Fitness Instructor Discounts + Brands page.
<3 + Light,