Updated: 8/7/2022 | American Hat Makers Review
Disclaimer: I received hats from the American Hat Makers to review in this post. As always, all thoughts and opinions are mine and 100% honest.
About American Hat Makers
AHM is family-owned and has been in business for over 40 years. The company was founded by Gary Watrous who began making and selling hats out of his Chevy station wagon in the ’70s.
Today AHM has become one of the largest hat businesses with a global presence. Gary is also head of the Hat Association.
American Hat Makers Review
Hat shopping can be challenging for people with larger-sized heads (like me!).
I’ve purchased many hats and have found that most one size fits most (OSFM) hats are too small for larger-size heads or for people with thick, wavy, or curly hair (which is also me!).
Prior to going hat shopping, we highly recommend using our guide on how to find the perfect hat size. This will take the guesswork out of what your hat size is and which styles will or will not work for you while shopping.
I received the following styles from American Hat Makers to review:
- Cyclone Cowboy Hat ($217) – I received this hat in the Cobblestone colorway. The leather is very sturdy and the distressed style makes the hat look broken in. The hat comes with velcro dots to affix their hat size reducers. The size reducers helped to make my hat fit snug on my head.
- Barcelona Sun Hat ($77) – This straw hat is super sturdy and the cream color looks amazing with all my summer outfits. It’s breathable and has a chinstrap so that it doesn’t go flying away when worn. It’s also super lightweight and very durable. This is a great hat for anyone considering adding hats to their wardrobe. It comes in three colorways: tan, natural, and cream.
- Leather Bushman Outback Hat ($97) – I purchased this hat for only $50 on Mercari (a reselling website similar to eBay) and it’s amazing! I love the lifted brim. The hat also came with size reducers.
I found that all the AHM styles I tested fit my larger-sized head. I typically wear size Large or 58cm-59cm in hats.
- Hats are size inclusive. AHM offers different sizes so that you can find your perfect hat size. Their hats also come with hat size reducers so you can modify them to get your perfect fit. Check out AHM’s sizing guide to find your proper hat size.
- Lots of styles to choose from. AHM has over 200 hat styles for men, women, and children.
- Lots of colors to choose from. Many of the hat styles come in different colors as well.
- Packable Styles – Some of the hats are packable and can be rolled or folded to fit in your luggage or bag.
- Easy to care for. Many of their hats may be washable or can be cleaned with a cloth and some gentle soap. AHM offers a compact hat brush that you can use to brush off dust and lint. I use a reusable lint roller to clean my hats. It’s also great for removing dog hair from clothing and furniture.
- All hats are handcrafted in the USA.
- Hats are handmade to order! Each hat is uniquely made for you.
- Their Hats for Heroes program offers grants, products, and employment opportunities to veterans. It’s how they give back to their communities.
- A tree is planted for every hat over $50 sold. When you shop at American Hat Makers, you’re helping make thew world a better place. Read more about their sustainability efforts here.
- Lifetime guarantee on all manufacturer defects.
- Helpful hat accessories. AHM offers an affordable hat clip for your bag and tote with hat straps. You can also use our DIY Hat Clip tutorial to create one with things you already have around the home.
- Low shipping costs. It costs under $10 to ship a hat.
- Fast shipping – My hat arrived within 3 days after being ordered.
- 30-Day return window. If you’re not satisfied with your hat, you are allowed to return it within 30 days minus a $7 return fee. Read their full return policy here.
- Not all styles are affordable. Some styles can cost over $125 and upwards of $477! Most styles fall around $77.
- Leather hats can be heavy. Due to the high quality of materials used in their headwear, some of their hats may be heavy. This is most often the case with their leather material hats.
- Leather hats can trap heat. Be mindful of the type of hat that you are buying and what weather you’ll be wearing it in. If you’re looking for a leather hat that is breathable, we recommend trying their hybrid leather and mesh hats, such as the Sirocco style.
- They do not have a wishlist feature. I LOVE so many of their hats and wish I could save my favorites for later.
- Low Stock – Their hats sell out quickly, so if you see a hat style you love, be sure to buy it before it’s sold out.
If you are looking for hat styles that are made for larger heads, you should check out our article for the best hat brands for large heads.
Should I Buy from American Hat Makers?
AHM makes affordable hats that are super stylish and of great quality. If you’re looking for a beginner hat, AHM has a ton of options for you.
Compared to other brands, AHM hats are made really well and come in inclusive sizes. They are definitely aware of hat problems and go above and beyond to meet customer needs.
We definitely recommend shopping with AHM for your next hat.
If you’re new to the brand, we recommend giving these popular styles a try:
- Bondi Wide Brim Felt Fedora
- Barcelona Sun Hat
- Crusher Outback Leather Hat
- Hollywood Cowboy Hat
- Cannes Wide Brim Felt Boater
- Sirocco Sun Hat
We recommend using our hat sizing guide to determine your hat size prior to shopping at AHM.
Where to Buy American Hat Maker Hats
You can buy American Hat Maker hats from their website.
Use this link to save $25 off your first order.
Alternatively, you can also use code SCHIMIGGY to save 15% off all your orders at American Hat Makers.
If you found our American Hat Makers review helpful, please share it on Pinterest. Thanks for your support!
Sign-up for our monthly newsletter for updates and more. We promise we won't spam you! Feel free to unsubscribe anytime.
If you're a brand and want to submit a product for us to review, please use this form to get in touch.