What happened to George Floyd is a horrendous tragedy that ignited the pain of our brothers and sisters across the nation. It is a painful reminder that injustice still exists and as a community and as especially as individuals, we need to do more.
All lives do not matter until Black lives matter.
Here are actionable steps you can take to support the Black Lives Matter movement. If you cannot give, please educate and spread the word to those who may not understand the uproar.
Support NPOs working towards Black justice and equality.
- Your local Black Lives Matter Chapter
- The American Civil Liberties Union
- Reclaim the Block
- Black Visions Collective
- Fair Fight
- The Innocence Project
- NAACP Legal Defense Fund
- Know Your Rights Camp
- Visit Lake Street
- Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- How to be Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi
- The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander
- Me and White Supremacy by Layla F. Saad
- So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo
- White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo
- “Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack” by Peggy McIntosh
- Notes of a Native Son by James Baldwin
- Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption by Bryan Stevenson
- When They See Us (Netflix, 2019)
- The Central Park Five (Amazon and PBS, 2012)
- 13th (Netflix, 2016)
- 16 Shots (Showtime, 2018)
- Copwatch (Amazon Prime, 2017)
- Just Mercy (Amazon Prime, 2019)
- Let it Fall: Los Angeles 1982-1992 (Netflix, 2017)
- Say Her Name: The Life and Death of Sandra Bland (HBO, 2018)
- The Innocence Files (Netflix, 2020)
- I Am Not Your Negro (Amazon Prime, 2016)
- Time: The Kalief Browder Story (Netflix, 2017)
- Trigger Warning with Killer Mike, Episode 1: Living Black (Netflix, 2019)
- The Force (Netflix, 2017)
- Whose Streets (Hulu, 2017)
- Green Book (Netflix, 2018)
- Mudbound (Netflix, 2017)
- “JUSTICE” to 668366
- “FLOYD” to 55156
- “ENOUGH” to 55156
- “RESIST” to 55156
(612) 324-4499 to be connected with DA Michael Freeman, who has the authority to charge the offices in the murder of George Floyd. Here’s a sample script if you need one:
“Hi, my name is _____ from _____ and I am calling on behalf of George Floyd and the injustice that he faced. I demand that all four officers be arrested because being fired is not enough.”
SUPPORT LOCAL BLACK OWNED BUSINESSES
Research and find local Black-owned businesses and SUPPORT them. Buy gift cards, order take out, purchase products from their stores, promote their business to your friends and family, etc.
If you’re in the Seattle area, please see this Black owned businesses list by David Alton.
Below are resources to help you better understand why the #BlackLivesMatter movement is so important.
- Ben & Jerry’s commitment to dismantling White supremacy – ALL CORPORATIONS LISTEN UP!
- The Real Reason Why People Say “All Lives Matter”
- Why You Need to Stop Saying “All Lives Matter”
- Watch this video that explains systemic racism and implicit bias.
This is just a start for many. We will update this page with new opportunities and resources as we find them.
Remember the injustices against George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, Trayvon Martin, Philando Castile, Sandra Bland, Oscar Grant, Eric Garner, Trayvon Martin, Amadou Diallo, Michael Brown, Emmett Till, Martin Luther King, Jr., and countless others.
Make yourself a promise to do all you can until we are all equal.
If you have ideas to support the Black Lives Matter movement, we’d love to hear them. Please send us a message with any ideas that you have.
Alex Tran AKA Schimiggy
Please share this resource on Pinterest.