If you are like the majority of people, you probably work from a desk, or at least spend a large chunk of your day seated. This sedentary lifestyle can have serious negative effects on our bodies. According to the Washington Post, the average office worker sits for about 10 hours a day. Most of that time is spent slumped over a computer and with not-so-great posture. Is your body aching just thinking about it?
Over the years of sitting for so long, our bodies tend to lose flexibility and our muscles become weaker and more tense. This can lead to some serious issues down the road. So what is a remedy for all of this sitting and lack of flexibility? Why, yoga, of course!
So why is it so important to undo the adverse effects that sitting at a desk can cause over time? Well, a sedentary lifestyle has been associated with a shorter lifespan and an increased risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, and more. Not only can it increase your risk of health issues, but it can lead to soreness and stiffness that no one wants.
Yoga has been around for centuries and people have used it for many different things including the healing of the body and mind. So if you sit at a desk all day long, then chances are you need to improve your flexibility with some yoga. This post will take a look at some excellent ways to improve your flexibility with yoga, as well as some great yoga poses to practice.
So, grab a yoga make, (we like the cork yoga mat by Satori Concept) and get ready to work on your flexiblity!
How To Improve Your Flexibility WIth Yoga After A Long Day Of Working At A Desk
Our bodies need movement and flexibility in order to function properly. When our muscles are tight and not flexible, it can cause serious problems with our bodies. According to MSN, if you do not stretch your muscles, it can lead to tight muscles, pulled muscles, and even long-term muscle damage. This can be a serious issue if pushed aside and it is not dealt with.
So what are some of the best ways to improve your flexibility with yoga? Especially after sitting at a desk all day long, multiple days a week? Let’s take a look at some tips.
- Consistency is key. Just as with everything, consistency is important in yoga. If you want to see results, you have to stick with it. The more yoga you do, the more flexible you will become, combatting that sedentary lifestyle that your desk job has given you.
- Don’t jump the gun. Being too eager can put you further behind than where you started. If you are new to yoga, then take it slow. Don’t jump right into a 90 minute advanced yoga class. Try a gentle flow first to see how it feels and how your body reacts. Then, you can work your way up to those harder poses.
- Be kind to yourself. If you can’t immediately do a certain pose, don’t give up. Give yourself time to practice. Yoga isn’t always easy and it can take some time to work up to certain postures and poses. Be compassionate with yourself and give yourself a little grace.
5 Yoga Poses To Improve Your Flexibility After Working At A Desk
Now that we’ve looked at how to improve your flexibility, let’s look at some yoga poses that will help.
- Downward Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana): If you only have time for a quick yoga session after a long day of sitting, then let it be this one. This pose offers a full-body stretch and can help to reset your muscles by relieving any tension you are holding in your body. It can also strengthen your lower back, leading to improved posture which can help tremendously when you work at a desk.
- Standing Forward Fold (Uttanasana): This pose can be extremely therapeutic for the low back area. By allowing your head to hang heavy and your shoulders and upper body to relax, you are allowing your muscles time to rest. They get relief from sitting in a tiresome position all day long. If you have low back problems, then this pose is highly recommended. It also helps to stretch the backs of the legs, improving flexibility in that area.
- Pigeon Pose (Eka Pada Rajakapotasana): This hip opening pose is absolutely fantastic for releasing any tension you may be holding in your hips from sitting all day. By staying in this pose for a couple of minutes a day, your flexibility will be increased tremendously.
- Neck Stretches: These are an obvious counter to neck issues caused by staring at a computer all day. Give your neck a nice stretch and see how it not only releases tension in the neck, but also in the shoulders and back as well.
- Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana): If you are looking to increase flexibility in your back and core, then this is the perfect pose. It is wonderful for opening the chest as well and countering the hunched shoulders that come with working at a desk.
If you work at a desk all day long, then you should make sure to incorporate yoga into your life. Your body will thank you! Increase your flexibility as well as your quality of life with these tips and poses.
Sign-up for our monthly newsletter for updates and more. We promise we won't spam you! Feel free to unsubscribe anytime.
If you're a brand and want to submit a product for us to review, please use this form to get in touch.