Updated: 10/8/2020 | Manduka GRP Adapt Yoga Mat Review
In 1997, Peter Sterios, an architect turned yogi, discovered a simple, elegantly designed black mat whose combination of firm grip and complete support revolutionized his yoga practice. In honor of the yoga masters who inspired him, he sought to share this amazing product with others. Thus the Manduka yoga mat was born.
Peter chose the name Manduka in homage to his teacher and mentor, Shandor Remete, whose core practice and teaching always included the ancient Hatha Yoga Pradipika pose, Mandukasana or frog pose. The frog also represents one of Earth’s most fragile species and is a great reminder to practice ahimsa, or loving-kindness, to the world around us as well as ourselves.
Manduka began as a yoga mat and accessory brand and in 2016, they expanded into activewear.
The quality and performance of Manduka mats, yoga accessories and activewear are still unmatched in the marketplace. They are still crafted using simple, enduring, natural, and whenever possible, renewable materials.
Manduka GRP Adapt Yoga Mat Review
Manduka has gone and made their grippiest mat ever! They initially launched their GRP hot yoga mat which had an absorbent surface but many practitioners were still experiencing slippage when it got too sweaty.
Their GRP Adapt mat was created to eliminate the woes that were presented with the GRP hot yoga mat.
Below we’ll share the pros and cons of the GRP Adapt mat and whether it is worth buying.
- Sustainably made in Spain.
- Open-cell proprietary PU material offers the best grip and ultra-quick moisture absorption without disturbing your practice.
- The internal weave construction allows moisture to quickly pass through and become absorbed into the interior foam layer, keeping the surface of your mat dry.
- Offers 2 times greater absorption capacity than competing brands.
- Foam Rubber Patent-pending material provides a unique and springy performance.
- Soft cushioning helps protect your joints.
- Proprietary rubber composite specifically engineered to provide superior grip to the floor and prevent mat slippage.
- Lightweight at only 6 pounds compared to the Manduka PRO Yoga Mat at 7.5 pounds.
- Easy to care for. Simply use Manduka’s proprietary cleansing solutions or dilute Mrs. Meyers All Purpose Cleaner in a tub or spray bottle to spot clean.
- Comes in Standard 71″ length only. No current options for taller practitioners.
- Has a strong chemical smell that will take a few days to dissipate. It took my mate approximately 8 days of being left out to finally smell normal.
- The super absorbent and porous mat should be cleaned regularly. If you practice 2-3 times a week, we recommend washing your mat at least once a week to prevent bacterial build-up. Read our guide on how to properly clean your yoga mat.
- The mat attracts dust easily. We use a wet towel to wipe down our mat every practice. If you want something that collects less dust, go for the GRP yoga mat instead.
- Does not come with a Lifetime Warranty like their PRO yoga mats.
Related: Manduka PRO Yoga Mat Review
GRP Adapt versus GRP Hot Yoga
Here are the differences between the GRP Adapt and GRP Hot Yoga mats.
|grp® Adapt||grp® Hot Yoga||grp® Hot Yoga Lite|
|Thickness||5mm||6mm and||4mm (lite)|
|Color||Black||Grey||Black, Midnight Blue, Magic Purple|
|Dimensions||71″ (180cm)||71″ (180cm)||71″ (180cm)|
|Grip||Very Grippy||Slips when wet||Slips when wet|
|Weight||6 lbs||5.5 lbs||5 lbs|
Should I Buy the GRP Adapt Yoga Mat?
The only reasons we would not advise purchasing the GRP Adapt mat is because of the initial strong smell and that it does not come with a lifetime guarantee.
The GRP Adapt is cheaper than the GRP hot yoga mats and is definitely more comfortable and absorbent. For sweaty practitioners, this mat is Manduka’s answer to a mat that adapts to your practice.
If smell and price are an issue, we highly recommend the Sharklet Antibacterial Yoga Mat. It’s super grippy and affordable.
Where to Buy Manduka
If you enjoyed our Manduka GRP Adapt Yoga Mat review, please share it on Pinterest! Thank you!
Sign-up for our monthly newsletter for updates and more. We promise we won't spam you! Feel free to unsubscribe anytime.
If you're a brand and want to submit a product for us to review, please use this form to get in touch.