Manduka began as a yoga mat and accessory brand.
In 1997, Peter Sterios, an architect turned yogi, discovered a simple, elegantly designed black mat whose combination of firm grip and complete support revolutionized his yoga practice. In honor of the yoga masters who inspired him, he sought to share this amazing product with others.
Peter chose the name Manduka in homage to his teacher and mentor, Shandor Remete, whose core practice and teaching always included the ancient Hatha Yoga Pradipika pose, Mandukasana or frog.
The quality and performance of Manduka mats and yoga accessories are still unmatched in the marketplace. They are still crafted using simple, enduring, natural, and whenever possible, renewable materials and fine attention to detail. Manduka is a company built by and for yoga teachers and their students.
They took their dedication in yoga gear and transformed it into activewear that holds up for as long as your practice will. This transition happened in 2016 and the world is only barely beginning to experience Manduka‘s amazing clothing line.
Manduka Review: Essential Leggings
I reviewed their Essential leggings (2016). I chose the heathered gray because of the striped look. I bought the pair at a local yoga studio, but you can also buy Manduka apparel online.
#1 How do Manduka leggings fit?
Manduka leggings run smaller than other brands. I sized up in the Essential leggings and they fit perfectly.
I prefer my clothing to fit comfortably and not too tight. I tried the medium and discovered that it was a perfect fit. The small pinched me at the waist and was an overall more compressive fit.
If you’re in between sizes, we recommend going with the larger size in Manduka apparel.
#2 What are Manduka leggings made for?
The Essential leggings come in both long and crop length. Manduka also makes an entire collection of clothing for both men and women. Pieces include tanks, bras, bra tops, shorts, leggings, crops, jackets, cardigans and even headbands.
#3 Inseam: The leggings come with a 27″ inseam. Capri leggings come with a 19″ inseam. I am 5’5″ and the leggings bunch up around my ankles. I cannot wear the leggings over my heels.
#4 Rise: The medium rise allows the pants to sit an inch below my navel.
#5 Waistband: The Essential leggings come with a tall waistband measuring 3.” The waistband is made with four panels of fabric stitched together to offer a contoured fit.
The top of the waistband has a seam that helps to keep the leggings in place. The waistband also has a front pocket for stowing keys or a credit card.
#6 Manduka Legging Fabric Details
- Fabric Content:
- The heathered fabric is composed of the following fabric blends – 88% Recycled Polyester/12% Spandex
- The prints and solid fabrics are created with different fabric content.
- The Essential fabric is made of 65% recycled fibers, making them sustainable and eco-friendly.
- The heathered fabric is beautiful. I love the shade and it goes with practically everything and looks especially great when paired with a black bra or top.
- Fabric Feel: The fabric feels smooth and a bit cottony. The feel is similar to Zella fabrics but a tad thinner.
- Fabric Performance:
- The fabric is quick drying.
- The fabric offers four-way stretch so that the leggings contour against the body.
- The fabric is very soft and can be compressive depending on the size you choose.
- The fabric does not pill.
- Opacity: Leggings are 100% opaque and NOT see-through!
- Fabric Features:
- There is a Manduka logo on the back of the pant. The logo is not reflective and is a light grey color.
- The waistband offers a front pocket.
#7 When to Wear: Brands designs products for different reasons. Heated or non-heated yoga, gym, or daily wear
#8 How much do Manduka leggings cost?
Manduka Essential leggings are $88 for the long length and $78 for the capri length. They’re affordable and the quality is definitely reflected in the price.
#9 Do Manduka leggings have a gusset?
Manduka leggings are constructed with a double-layered, triangle gusset. I noticed in my photos the gusset looked darker. It’s probably the angle the gusset photo was taken from.
#10 Stitch Seam: Flat seams are used throughout the pant for a chafe free fit.
#11 UPF Protection: Because protecting yourself from harmful sun rays is important!
#12 Wher are Manduka leggings made?
Where were the leggings manufactured?
#13 Care Instructions: Wash & dry in low temperatures to prolong garment shelf life while also conserving energy. Always avoid using fabric softeners – they can inhibit wicking and breathability in performance fabrics. Do not dry clean.
Should I Buy Manduka?
I definitely recommend Manduka‘s workout clothing! I especially love the contoured waistband that fits snug but keeps the leggings in place. The heathered grey color just about goes with everything. I also love the soft cottony feel of the fabric, making it great for lounging around, casual wear or working out in.
Make sure to size up when ordering Manduka activewear!
Related: Manduka PRO Yoga Mat Review
Where to Buy Manduka Activewear
- Amazon – Buy Manduka leggings for as low as $38!
- Carbon38 – Use code SHMGY25 to save 15% off your first two orders at Carbon38.
- Sierra Trading Post
- Yoga Outlet
Related: Manduka Flex Leggings Review
Sign-up for our monthly newsletter for updates and more. We promise we won't spam you! Feel free to unsubscribe anytime.