Updated 5/30/2020: How to Remove Permanent Ink from Clothing Labels
I am sharing something revolutionary (at least to me) with my readers today! Be prepared to change the way you shop and care for your clothing.
I am a bargain hunter and occasionally find myself buying deeply discounted treasures that have a black permanent marker (usually made by Sharpie ink) line through the label to prevent returns at large department stores. Although I don’t really mind the marker line through a label, I do get the satisfaction of not letting the marker line be an indicator to the world that I did not pay FULL PRICE for my high-end goods.
I researched everywhere and couldn’t find anything that was quick and easy. I’ve done a bit of research and I’m surprised this one did not come up. One day, one of my sellers asked if I wanted the black marker line through the label removed and I said, “Of course!” She stated that my item would go out the following day as soon as the label was dry.
I asked her how she did it because I wanted to remove the marker ink from some of my other belongings. She informed me that I could use this magical product to remove ink stains from ANYTHING. And that product is Eliminink (formerly called Jinx Ink)!
How to Remove Permanent Ink from Clothing Labels
Eliminink is a stain and spot remover. It removes non-permanent ink stains from clothing, carpets, and upholstery. The label also goes on to state that it also removes nail polish, paste, shoe polish, adhesives, toner, lacquers, and even gum. Basically, this stuff is magic!
The article of clothing that I used Eliminink on was a Burberry Needlethorpe Jacket that (I assume) was purchased at the Last Chance Nordstrom Discount store in Arizona because I bought it from a seller in Arizona.
I attempted to recreate the mark with a permanent marker and used Jinx Ink on the label. It took me no more than 4 minutes to remove the ink once I received my Jinx Ink in the mail, and I could not be happier with the results!
I didn’t have to deal with 7+ products to remove one stain. I have tried tips from other websites and they were either too time-consuming or did not work. The hair spray and alcohol technique never worked for me.
With Jinx Ink I was able to remove stains from more than just clothing. I was also able to remove ink stains from a white leather handbag. And that’s no easy task.
HOW DOES JINX INK WORK?
Here are step-by-step instructions on how to use Eliminink to remove label markings. It’s a super easy process and should take no more than 3-5 minutes tops. The only waiting you have to do is for the label to dry.
- Identify if your fabric has acetate in the material, as the fabric will dissolve if it comes into contact with Eliminink.
- Place a cotton towel underneath the label to absorb the ink and Eliminink formula as it soaks through the manufacturer label.
- As it soaks through the label, you will see the marker ink immediately disappear from the label and absorb into the towel beneath it. Continue applying Jinx Ink until the label is clear of any color or marks. Sometimes I press the label between two layers of towels just to keep the label dry.
- Allow the label to dry with a fresh cotton towel underneath. I usually leave it in a well-ventilated room because the fumes from Eliminink are pretty strong.
Although the bottle says that it does not remove ink such as permanent markers, it worked for me! I have also tried removing the marker stain on my new Jimmy Choo Cosmic pumps and the ink came out nicely, but it also stripped the glue that was holding the label in place on the shoe. Not a big deal for me, but just something to be mindful of.
Where to Buy Eliminink
If you live in Seattle, Wash., I am more than happy to share some of my bottle with you. Just shoot me an e-mail.
Another alternative to Eliminink is Amodex and it essentially performs just as great.
Let me know if you try it. Thanks for reading!
If you liked this post, you may like these too:
- How to Wash Activewear to Make It Last Longer
- How to Wash a Down Filled Jacket or Comforter
- How to Get a Cheap Gym or Studio Membership
- How to Hack and Save Money at a Lululemon Outlet
- How to Save Money on Lululemon Clothing
Sign-up for our monthly newsletter for updates and more. We promise we won't spam you! Feel free to unsubscribe anytime.
If you're a brand and want to submit a product for us to review, please use this form to get in touch.