SPANX revolutionized the shapewear industry in the early 2000s. The brand was created by Sara Blakely who had an idea to make the best hosiery ever and she executed it strategically.
I remember wearing them under my formal dresses and looking bomb dot com. The shapewear smoothed out any visible wrinkles or bumps. They were not cheap by any means, but they worked and worked really well. Soon I was seeing SPANX in high-end department stores and everyone and their momma had a pair.
Let’s head into my review of their Faux Leather Leggings.
SPANX Leggings Review
I chose black SPANX leggings because they’re the easiest color to wear. I also received them at a discounted price.
When I first saw held the pair up to my face, I was thinking they would be a tight fit. Looks can be deceiving. I then tried them on and immediately noticed the difference physically.
The leggings were very compressive and form fitting. After a few photos I saw how great they looked on! So far everything was good. Let’s delve deeper into the review.
#1 Size: I was able to get a pair of SPANX leggings for really cheap but had to size down.
If you’re in between sizing, I recommend sizing up for a more comfortable fit. If you want a more compressive fit, size down. I could fluctuate between both sizes depending on what occasion I was wearing my leggings for.
The pants also come in PLUS SIZE options for ladies, making SPANX a size inclusive company.
#2 Style: SPANX offers long and cropped leggings, shapewear, underwear, bras, socks, hosiery and mens products.
SPANX leggings are made with a single front panel for a camel-toe free fit. They also have products for EVERYBODY and offers plus sizing.
#3 Inseam: SPANX legging inseam measures 27″ and can be worn over the ankles. I am 5’5″ for reference.
#4 Rise: The leggings have a high rise fit and sits 1/2″ above my navel.
#5 Waistband: The Power Waistband (a tall waistband) is my favorite feature about the SPANX leggings. The waistband opening has a seam at the top so that the pants stay put. The waistband measures 4″ tall and tucks it all in.
Thew waistband hides all my bumps and lumps extremely well. The waistband is double layered and made to fit at your natural waist and keep it all in.
- Fabric Content: Body is 87% Nylon/13% Spandex/Elastane blend. The waist Lining is 80% Polyester/20% Spandex/Elastane blend made from imported materials.
- Fabric Feel:
- The fabric feels like faux leather and has a slight rubbery traction when running my hands across the surface of the pant. I was concerned with dust and objects sticking to the pant, but that never happened during wear.
- The fabric has a glossy sheen to the surface, which looks great in low light and helps the leggings really stand out and look fashionable.
- Fabric Performance:
- Fabric is quick drying and semi-dry wicking
- The fabric has 4-Way Stretch and allows the fit to contour to the body.
- Depending on the size you choose, your pants can be compressive or more relaxed.
- The stickiness of the fabric made it great for crow pose or any poses requiring arm to leg connection.
- The fabric has a bum lifting effect which is part of their signature shapewear fabric blend. I was very impressed with this feature.
- Opacity: The leggings are 100% opaque! I am glad to report they are not see-through!
- Fabric Features:
- No pockets
- No visible logos on the exterior of the pant.
- Leather look fabric
- The Faux Leather Leggings also come in a variety of colors!
#7 When to Wear: SPANX leggings can be worn anytime and anywhere. It’s great piece to transition from studio to street.
#8 Cost: SPANX leggings run from $82 to $114 depending on style and size. The Faux Leather Leggings cost $98, which doesn’t make them affordable but they are totally worth it.
SPANX leggings are offered through various retailers, so be sure to shop around for the best deals. I’ve listed some retailers down below.
#9 Gusset: SPANX leggings come with a triangle shaped, single layer gusset. The gusset is sewn into the pant with overlocked stitching.
#10 Stitch Seam: Plain/overlocked seams are used throughout the pant. The outseam has unique stitching that contours to the body. I did not experience any chafing issues with their seams.
#11 UPF Protection: Not disclosed.
#12 Made in China.
#13 Care Instructions: I wash my SPANX leggings by hand with cold water and then hang dry. I hang to dry on a foldable rack such as this one.
Since the leather look may fade with wear, I recommend washing your leggings inside out and avoiding drying in sunlight for the best results.
Should I Buy SPANX?
Yes, you totally should!
I would wear these anywhere and anytime. They’re so comfortable and the visible outseam allowed the leggings to look more like casual leggings than athletic leggings. This was great for transitioning from studio to street.
SPANXs specializes in shapewear, so it’s no surprise that their leggings offer the same support.
They do cost a pretty penny but are worth the investment!
Where to Buy SPANX Leggings
SPANX leggings can also be purchased at these other retailers:
- Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack
- Mercari – Use code SYVFUT for $10 off your first purchase.
- Poshmark – Use code SCHIMIGGY $5 off your first purchase.
I hope this SPANX leggings review was helpful to you! Please let me know if you have any comments or questions below. I’d love to hear them!
Got more questions? Feel free to e-mail me!