The company is based out of Vancouver, Canada and has a worldwide presence with over 400 stores.
lululemon has become a household name and has somewhat developed their own cult following.
The brand has been associated with overpriced pants, technical fabrics, and leadings in activewear trends.
In this post, we’ll explore their most popular leggings, the Align pants and see if it’s worth all the hype.
lululemon Align Leggings Review
In this review, we will check out the Align II leggings in black. This pant is very popular and has since been offered in 50+ colorways. I have only purchased and regularly worn three Align pants.
You might think “that’s all the leggings one person would need,” but there are other issues to be discussed in this post. Otherwise, I would have purchased more Align leggings.
Update: The Align I pants differ from Align II in that there is an extra seam on the waistband of the Align I pants. The silhouette looks exactly the same between the two versions.
How do lululemon Align leggings fit?
lululemon typically runs true to size (TTS). I wear a size 6 in lululemon, which is equivalent to a US size small. We highly recommend referring to their size chart to find the best fit. If you’re in between sizes, we recommend sizing down.
The Nulu fabric retains its shape pretty well but also has a lot of stretch. Some people have sized down in Align leggings. We recommend getting two sizes and seeing which one fits best.
What are lululemon Align leggings designed for?
The Align pants come in various lengths. lululemon initially released the Align pant in a 7/8 length.
Over time, they started to make Align bottoms in shorts, crops, 25″ and 28″ lengths. Their original 7/8 or 25″ pant fit very similarly to their High Times pant.
What is the inseam of lululemon Align pants?
Align pants come with various inseams. Currently, the Align pants are offered in short length, crops (21″ inseam), 7/8 (25″ inseam) and 28″ inseams. The 25″ inseam lands 1.5″ above my ankle. I am 5’5″ for reference.
What is the rise on Align leggings?
The leggings have a high rise fit. The front rise measures 9″ and back measures 10.25″.
How tall is the waistband on Align leggings?
The Align pants come with a tall waistband measuring 5.” It covers my waistline and muffin top very well. The waistband fits 1″ over my waistband. It also fits flat against my waist. The back waistband is sewn in a v-shape and looks very attractive.
Align pants also come in an extra tall waistband which helps the leggings stay put and is great for very tall people.
lululemon Align Fabric Details and Features
- Fabric Content: Nulu™ fabric and Lycra® Fibre blend
- Fabric Feel: The fabric feels brushed, lightweight and buttery soft. It has a naked feel sensation during wear and this lends to the mass appeal of this particular pant.
- Fabric Performance:
- Quick Drying
- Dry Wicking,
- 4-Way Stretch
- Fabric does pill throughout. I have major pilling issues in between the thighs. There is also pilling on the front and back sides of the pant. You can take a fabric shaver and easily remove the pilling. I found myself having to do this every 2-3 wears.
- Pants do not slip easily during wear. No slippage issues.
- Opacity: Align leggings are 100% opaque (not see-through).
- Fabric Features:
- Gray reflective lululemon logo on the back of the waistband.
- Hidden waistband pocket that opens from the side.
When should you wear Align leggings?
I wear my Align pants with everything and anywhere. I wear them to yoga while doing chores and walking my dog. They’re a great everyday black legging.
lululemon advises that you do not wear Align leggings often due to their delicate nature. They have a tendency to pill in between and on the front and back of the thighs.
If you want a pant that is similar to the Align pants, you should check out their Everlux collection. Everlux is intended to be as soft as Nulu fabric but much more durable and great for high-impact sports.
How much do Align leggings cost?
Align leggings cost $98 per pant. The longer length and neutral colors rarely go on sale.
You may find Align crop pants at a lululemon outlet for around $49-69 but the sizing is limited and the colors are often unpopular.
Do Align pants have a gusset?
Yes! Align pants have an H-shaped, single-layered gusset that provides maximum movement. The fabric is 100% opaque and provides full coverage when in squatting or folded positions. The gusset is where I experienced the most pilling.
Look below to see how badly it pilled from one year of wear. Pilling happened both inside and outside of the leggings.
What types of seams are used on Align leggings?
The Align pants are constructed with flat fell seams for a chafe-free, body-forming fit.
Do Align leggings have UPF protection?
Where are Align leggings made?
Made in Vietnam. Designed in Vancouver.
What are Align pant care instructions?
Machine wash cold and hang to dry on a foldable drying rack such as this one. The pants are easy to care for in the wash. However, the amount of pilling is irreconcilable even if I could use a fabric shaver to remove it.
Should I Buy Align Pants?
Initially, I thought these pants were the bomb. I wore them everywhere because they were comfortable, looked great and performed well in yoga and weight lifting. The lightweight, naked feel fabric and high waist prevented slippage and the color was opaque and slimming.
After 5 wears, I started to notice pilling in between my thighs and at the front and back sides of my Aligns. The appeal immediately wore off and I have not purchased another Align pant since then.
As much as I want to love these pants, I, unfortunately, have to say I do not recommend them due to the significant amounts of pilling.
I’ve tried a few printed Align pants and noticed that they do not pill as easily. I recommend printed Aligns if you grouse about piling.
If lululemon were to resolve the pilling issue, the Aligns would be the dream pant! If you want a better alternative, I recommend getting the lululemon High Times (thicker Luon fabric, therefore harder to pill) or Beyond Yoga‘s space dye pants. It’s not worth $98 to buy a pant that will pill to no end.
Where to Buy Lululemon
I've also listed some ways you can save money on Lululemon below:
- If you're an fitness instructor and currently teaching, you can qualify for their Sweat Collective program to receive 25% off all merchandise (including sale). Read about their other discount programs here.
- Shop their We Made Too Much (WMTM) section for 10-50% off Lululemon merchandise. All WMTM items are final sale.
- Shop at lululemon Outlets for great deals! Search for outlet store locations on lululemon's store locator.
You can also buy Lululemon for less through third-party reselling websites such as:
- Mercari - Use this link for $10 off your first order. You can also apply code SYVFUT when you download and signup on the Mercari App.
- Poshmark - Use code SCHIMIGGY for $5 off your first order.
- Tradesy - Use this link to get $20 off your first purchase of $50 or more.
- Vinted - Use this link to get $ off your first purchase.
I hope this helps you decide whether to get the Align pant or not. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. Thanks for tuning in!
We have an entire resource page dedicated to everything lululemon related. Please check it out!
If there are any other topics you’d like us to shed some light on, please let us know!
If you enjoyed this post, you may enjoy these other topics below:
- How to Hack and Save Money at a lululemon Outlet
- lululemon Warehouse Sale Dates
- 2016 lululemon Warehouse Sale in Seattle, Washington – HAUL REPORT
- How to Save Money on lululemon Clothing