lululemon is a popular men, women’s and teens activewear brand. lululemon was created in 1998 by Chip Wilson and has been outfitting women in comfortable fabrics and silhouettes for over two decades. The company is based out Vancouver, Canada and has a worldwide presence with over 400 stores.
lululemon has become a household name and has somewhat developed their own cult following. The brand has been associated with overpriced pants, technical fabrics, and leadings in activewear trends.
In this post, we’ll explore their most popular leggings, the Align pants and see if it’s worth all the hype.
lululemon Review: Align Leggings
In this review, we will check out the Align II leggings in black. This pant is very popular and has since been offered in 30+ colors. I have only purchased and regularly worn one Align pant.
You might think “that’s all one person would need,” but there are other issues to be discussed in this post. Otherwise, I would have purchased more Align leggings.
Update: The Align I pants differ from Align II in that there is an extra seam on the waistband of the Align I pants. The silhouette looks exactly the same between the two versions.
#1 Size: lululemon runs true to size (TTS). I wear a size 6 in lululemon, which is equivalent to a size small (US). It’s highly recommended to refer to their size chart and go for your measured size. If you’re in between sizes, I recommend sizing down.
The Nulu fabric retains its shape pretty well and won’t stretch out.
#2 Style: The Align pant is categorized as a midi pant and has an almost identical fit as lululemon‘s High Times pant.
#3 Inseam: Align inseams are 25″ and land 1.5″ above my ankle. I am 5’5″ for reference. Initially, the pants were released in a 25″ inseam. Now the Aligns are offered in a 28″ (full length) and 20″ crop inseams.
#4 Rise: The leggings have a high rise fit.
#5 Waistband: The Align pants come with a tall waistband measuring 5.” It covers my waistline and muffin top well. It also fits flat against my waist. The back waistband is sewn in a v-shape and looks very attractive.
- Fabric Content: Nulu™ fabric and Lycra® Fibre blend
- Fabric Feel: The fabric feels brushed, lightweight and buttery soft. It has a naked feel sensation during wear and this lends to the mass appeal of this particular pant.
- Fabric Performance:
- Quick Drying
- Dry Wicking,
- 4-Way Stretch
- Fabric does pill throughout. I have major pilling issues in between the thighs. There is also pilling on the front and back sides of the pant.
- Pants do not slip easily during wear. No slippage issues.
- Opacity: Align leggings are 100% opaque (not see-through).
- Fabric Features:
- Gray reflective Lululemon logo on the back of waistband.
- Hidden waistband pocket that opens from the side.
#7 When to Wear: I wear my Align pants with everything and anywhere. I wear them to yoga while doing chores and walking my dog. They’re a great everyday black legging.
#8 Cost: Align leggings are $98 a pant. The longer length and neutral colors rarely go on sale. You may find Align crop pants at most lululemon outlets for around $49-69.
#9 Gusset: H-shaped, single layered gusset provides maximum movement. The fabric is 100% opaque and provides full coverage when in squatting or folded positions. The gusset is where I experienced the most pilling.
Look below to see how badly it pilled from one year of wear. Pilling happened both inside and outside of the leggings.
#10 Stitch Seam: The Align pants are constructed with flat fell seams for a chafe-free, body-forming fit.
#11 UPF Protection: Not Disclosed
#12 Made in Vietnam. Designed in Vancouver.
#13 Care Instructions: Machine wash cold and hang to dry on a foldable drying rack such as this one. The pants are easy to care for in the wash. However, the amount of pilling is irreconcilable even if I could use a fabric shaver to remove it.
Should I Buy Align Pants?
Initially, I thought these pants were the bomb. I wore them everywhere because they were comfortable, looked great and performed when I needed it to. The lightweight, naked feel fabric prevented slippage and the color was opaque and slimming.
After 5 wears I started to notice pilling in between my thighs and at the front and back sides of my Aligns. The appeal immediately wore off and I have not purchased another Align pant since then.
As much as I want to love these pants, I, unfortunately, have to say I do not recommend them due to the significant amounts of pilling.
If lululemon were to resolve the pilling issue, the Aligns would be the dream pant! If you want a better alternative, I recommend getting the lululemon High Times (thicker Luon fabric, therefore harder to pill) or Beyond Yoga‘s space dye pants. It’s not worth $98 to buy a pant that will pill to no end.
Where to Buy Lululemon
I've also listed some ways you can save money on Lululemon below:
- If you're an fitness instructor and currently teaching, you can qualify for their Sweat Collective program to receive 25% off all merchandise (including sale). Read about their other discount programs here.
- Shop their We Made Too Much (WMTM) section for 10-50% off Lululemon merchandise. All WMTM items are final sale.
- Shop at lululemon Outlets for great deals! Search for outlet store locations on lululemon's store locator.
You can also buy Lululemon for less through third-party reselling websites such as:
- Mercari - Use this link for $10 off your first order. You can also apply code SYVFUT when you download and signup on the Mercari App.
- Poshmark - Use code SCHIMIGGY for $5 off your first order.
- Tradesy - Use this link to get $20 off your first purchase of $50 or more.
- Vinted - Use this link to get $ off your first purchase.
I hope this helps you decide whether to get the Align pant or not. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. Thanks for tuning in!
We have an entire resource page dedicated to everything lululemon related. Please check it out!
If there are any other topics you’d like us to shed some light on, please let us know!
If you enjoyed this post, you may enjoy these other topics below:
- How to Hack and Save Money at a lululemon Outlet
- lululemon Warehouse Sale Dates
- 2016 lululemon Warehouse Sale in Seattle, Washington – HAUL REPORT
- How to Save Money on lululemon Clothing